Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Lunch at the Belvedere - Kristin Hawkinson

Contemporary Art


A Lunch at the Belvedere, 2004
Luc Delahaye

This photograph from the MIA was very interesting to me. It didn't take my breath away when I came across it, nor did it make me want to stare at it for more than 5 minutes. It didn't take me long to "get the picture." The entire "Embarrassment of Riches" exhibit was great.The quality of this photo in particular is what grabbed my attention, and the large scale makes it that much more interesting to look at. I love things that are larger than life. There is also a lot of meaning behind this photograph. Let my explain why..
I believe this picture mocks the famous painting "The Last Supper." It's a more more modern, upscale version of it. This picture, along with the rest of the exhibit, depicts a view into today's economic wealth around the world. What does wealth look like this day and age? Why is it so different from 50 years ago? How have things changed?
Other pictures from the exhibit show those things but in different compositions... such as Alec Soth's Fondation Pierre Bergé and Yves Saint Laurent, Moujik IV, Paris.
Those are the things that makes this picture successful. This new-age modern feel to it. It isn't a mind-blowing sunset or anything. It's a candid picture of something that you have to look at for a few seconds to understand what's going on. It's also appealing to the eye.
Overall, this is a wonderful picture, and an even better exhibit it occupies.

http://www.artsmia.org/index.php?section_id=2&exh_id=3377&IM=2&start=1

1 comment:

  1. Very nice choice of work, Kristin...and I love your Last Supper analogy...

    ReplyDelete