Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Karthik Pandian

Hey Fellow Bloggers:)
-Karthik Pandian was the first post modern installation I have ever actually gone to see. Of course when I first walked in I thought WTF is this crap. I was not used to experiencing art in this way. I have always been a little skeptical of Post Modern Art. It seems like anything is art these days and there are no longer standards. However, after I wandered about the peace and that dude who was really nice explained the meaning beihind it and all of the work that went into it I had discovered a new appreciation for it and Post Modernism as an art form. As soon I knew what I was looking at and why it was set up the way it was I felt more conected. The large rectangular sand/water block all of a sudden became alive to me...I felt apart of it. Like I could sink into it and literally become the art itself. In the end this is what I liked most about the work...anyone could literally step inside of and become a part of the artists story and work. I can't step inside the Mona Lisa, I can only look at from like ten feet away and admire its beauty, but with most Post Modern work the viewer can be a part of what they see, this new way of experiencing art seems like a great way to express narrative or create conversation about what you are looking at. There is no right or wrong answer, I don't feel stupid if I dont get it because it's not always about facts and whats right in front of you...sometimes its about creating emotion or a feeling...like how it mad me unconfortable at first, it forced me to learn more...I couldn't just glance at it and walk away...I had to and wanted to know more. I know that I am less synical about Post Modern work after this site visit:)

-Willard

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your honesty, Will and very excited to hear your revelations about postmodern work via the Pandian exhibition! It is interesting that there is often an assumption that postmodernism equals 'anything goes' and that somehow translates, as well, to a certain lack of standards and quality in contemporary work. But it seems as if the experience of this installation somehow brought you closer to the work, in a way that you could really appreciate the work from your own place. True?

    ReplyDelete