Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Courier, Playbill, Schoolhouse Cursive

Courier:
Courier looks really plain, but not in the same way that Times New Roman looks plain. Times wreaks of academia, where as courier carries the vague stench of high school freshmen writing a paper at 9:30 the night before it's due and thinking that they can use Courier to meet the length requirement. That being already said, it also reminds me of typewriters, especially the one in my grandma's attic that I like to play with (yes, I said play! I like toys.) I think can be used for many things (i.e. high school papers), but it definitely belongs out of reach of the academic world.
Playbill:
Playbill looks really dense, and narrow, with big blocks and curved tails. It reminds me of cowboys, and the wild west (also, the movie Mary Kate and Ashley: How the West Was Fun? That's a little embarrassing...). It makes me feel kind of silly, I think it's an unprofessional font, difficult to read unless it's at least 28 pt., used mostly for children's toy logos and cheesey tourist t-shirts from places like Arizona. Truthfully, I think that's where this font belongs (after all, not even Mary Kate and Ashley used that font on the cover of their movie!)
Schoolhouse Cursive:
I definitely see exactly what the title says, schoolhouse cursive. It reminds me of when I learned how to write cursive from good ol' Mrs. Peterson in the second grade. I think it can be cleverly used for ironic purposes, and possibly educational purposes for people like Mrs. Peterson, but I don't think it belongs near the professional world, or the academic world...I'd say we should keep it in Elementary schools and on Hipster t-shirts.

1 comment: