Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Font Investigation-Jeremy Anderson


The first font I chose is called Pappo's Blues. This style looks like it was just scribbled down on paper by someone famous, or a doctor or something. At first I thought it was sort of strange that this particular font made me feel...happy? But it does and I know why. For years I've studied people's signatures because I think the practiced lines that people can make when writing their name are some of the finest lines on paper in the entire world. Nobody practices lines as consistently as their name because while your style or favorite medium might change, your name never (rarely) does. I think a font like this would be best used as a signature example in a novel, or a band poster or something of the like.


This next font looks playful yet planned. 2 Peas Goofball makes me think of the writing in a comic strip or the Sunday Funnies. The way the letters are offset but also clearly legible gives them a strange sense of order inside the chaos.
Seeing as I have been a fan of the Sunday Comics for as long as I could see pictures, this naturally makes me feel very comfortable. It reminds me of being young and waking up Sunday mornings to read the comics with my dad. I think this would be used best in a comic strip, or a party invitation? It's an OK font, but I think it has little future in the corporate world, or anything serious.


From the moment I saw I needed three fonts I knew that my third and final style would have to be good enough that nobody would ever forget it. Instead I picked 7Days to finish everything up. This style is an ultimate, final font. By saying this I mean that it looks like it should be the count-down font before the world blows up in a movie (or real life), or maybe a global disaster movie. This is a serious, dramatic font which makes me feel like whatever is being described is quite an important situation. Even the name is called 7Days...which to me implies that if you use this font it will exist for a exactly week and then will ignite everything it's printed on into a single, pure oxyhydrogen flame. This will then burn for 7MoreDays and will then abruptly dissipate leaving nothing except a light wisp of clean white smoke.

Pappo's Blues, 2 Peas Goofball, 7Days found at: http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/02/10-beautiful-and-free-fonts-for-web.html

1 comment:

  1. Very nice work Jeremy, and congratulations on paving the way on the Font blog posts! Good descriptive writing and some interesting fonts. I would be interested in hearing a comparison between one of these fonts and a more standard TrueType or Opentype font such as those you find in Adobe, Mac or Microsoft applications...

    ReplyDelete