Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Before the Sun-Karthik Pandian

The installment by Pandian that was at the Midway was very well thought out. At first glance (once your eyes adjusted) the set up was very intricate and you had to learn more about it before you could actually understand what was going on. All the little details like the mound platform, the pillars that the projectors were on, the gridded ceiling, the film being fed through the twin gridded ceiling, and the films images that all relate to the underlying theme of anthropology that Pandian set up.

The installment was very interesting and well-though out. However, I would have to say that I didn't feel that strong of a connection to it. I understood it, but only after the gallery worker told us what all was going on, and I really appreciated seeing it, and learning about it. I just wouldn't go out of my way to see more installations by Pandian. The thing that I did like about it the best was either the record playing in the doorway, or the fact that the film was being fed over the twine on the ceiling.

1 comment:

  1. You raise an interesting question about contemporary art here, Kirstie: whether or not one has to connect to a work of art to appreciate it. I enjoy your honesty. It might be interesting to see a little more research into Pandian (although as you said, you may not be interested) to see if his other works are similar....

    ReplyDelete