Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blog Project #4: FONTS. Michelle Stolz




Times New Roman:
1. I see a very basic font, that is very original and basic. It is on the verge of classy and casual, but not one more than the other.
2. It reminds me of english classes throughout my whole life, it is the font that teachers want to see and expect to see from students. It reminds me of late nights "cranking out" papers for various classes, from formal lab write ups to english research papers.
3. It makes me feel sullen, and looking at it makes me dread typing papers. In the words of Liz Lewis, "If I could murder (or kill) a font, it would be Times New Roman".
4. I feel that since it has been assigned the role of "the font for all papers", I feel that it is the permanent typeface for all papers, but in my opinion I dislike it strongly, but since i have been so used to it, it is definitely a love-hate relationship.


1. I see a very elegant, fine-line font that is very gestural and precise at the same time.
2. It reminds me of a romantic font, a font someone would use for an anniversary card or for a greeting card involved with a lot of meaning. It also reminds me of a formal invitation to a gathering that someone would receive in the mail, most likely for a wedding or a reception of some kind.
3. It makes me feel relaxed and formal, because the letters are so curved, free-flowing, connected, and vertical that the letters that make up a word feel unified.
4. This font can best be used in a formal letter or invitation. It can also be used to convey the message of romance or some sort of close relationship, even for a close friend that someone really cares about. I can also see this being very effective as the typeface for a high-end restaurant menu cover, as well as the sign outside the restaurant.



1. I see a very lively font, chipper and charismatic. It has expression and seems to be juvenile.
2. It reminds me of kids, because the curls at the end of each letter, and how the font does not follow straight lines, and the letters are not aligned straight, but skewed at an angle. It also reminds me of grade school, because this font was popular to use because it was unique at the time.
3. It makes me feel happy and chipper, because of the liveliness of the line of each letter, skewed, not aligned perfectly, and of course, the curls at the end of each letter.
4. In children's books, due to the fact that it's lively and intriguing for younger children, it can get them excited about reading and actually like reading, because if children like what they see, they will pursue it, and I believe this font can achieve that. Ii can also be used for children's videos, when font needs to be in there, for credits and opening title, because when I look at it, it reminds me of the font (somewhat) from the movie Monster's Inc. It is not the exact same font, but it screams juvenile.

1 comment:

  1. Great work, Michelle! I wonder if the sun will ever shine again on poor old Times Roman? It would be interesting to hear a little background on the font to understand its ubiquitous presence...

    ReplyDelete