Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Karthik Pandian - Before the Sun - Midway Contemporary Art

    On our first Installation visit our class went to see Karthik Pandian's "Before the Sun" at the Midway Contemporary Art in Minneapolis. I had never been to any Installation before and did not know what to expect when I walked in.
     I showed up earlier then most of the class so when I did walk in I closed the door behind me and all I saw was a record player and a pitch black room with banging noises coming from it. I had no idea what was going on and was curious about where all this noise was coming from.
   Once my eyes adjusted I noticed two projectors up on a two slaps out of man made stone, these projectors had the sun rising and the sun setting over a mound in Missouri. posted is a video showing the installation but it really doesn't do it as much justus, the smells of th clay and earth really bring a lot into the installation. 
    learning about the whole process of "before the sun" really helped with understanding more about way it was done the way it was. my favorite part had to have been the sand inside of the glass projector housing, it seemed foreign and created a focal point because everything else there was so natural.
    below is the video Midway Contemporary Art has on their website midwayart.org showing the Installation.

Video Courtesy of Midwayart.org 

1 comment:

  1. Really intrigued that you noticed/ remarked on the smell of the earth in the installation, Fillup. It brings up an important point about installation being about experience. Also enjoy the video link. (sadly, documentations just can't capture the experience, but it is a good visual document of the work..)

    ReplyDelete