Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I wish the title could be a different font!

The font. What a great plaything. In school we were reprimanded for playing with fonts when it came to homework. Now I can enjoy them with great pride because I'm an artist and playing is what I do.

Rockwell was a font I found that I thought was particularly interesting. It was labeled as slab serif. Rockwell is very geometric which I find ironic considering the engineering company in my small town of Cedar Rapids was called Rockwell. Too badthey didn't use this font. The slabs of this font do happen to make the font very geometric actually.
It's almost a grid system. I guess I get the same feeling from this as I do from math. This sort of cold happiness. Ok, let me reword that. I'm not a sociopath. Math to me is something that is very very very one sided for the brain. Therefore I feel as though math can be cold. Math also has no emotion to it. However, math does have one thing that is truly fascinating. PATTERNS. And patterns make me happy. They have so much sequence and predictability. And it makes me feel somewhat intelligent even though artist's aren't supposed to be that. (wink wink) This font screams patterns. It's very repetitive and simple. For this reason I think it would work very well for something industrial design. Apparently, it was made for a light rail station which I think fits perfectly.An engineering company like Rockwell deserves something bolder considering it's size. However, I believe that Rockwell font goes well with something designed well.

Willow!! Not just a great tree and a character on Buffy but also a wonderful font. Willow, like the tree, is very simple but playful. It's fairly delicate
and yet it's also stable. My favorite part of Willow is that it's creative enough without being too intense like something such as this.
Willow is a very fun piece and therefore it's something fun to look at. However, this is a decorative font and therefore can't be used too much. Using it for the body text of a rese
arch essay or perhaps street signs is probably a bit too much and would make the unique look of Willow no longer unique but painful. Willow would be great for the title of a book or even better for the name of a small shop, maybe a culinary shop. Possibly a logo for some sort of design or anything that only requires a few words but a lot of attention for those few words.

Ah. Times new roman. My old friend. I have dreams of writing in this font. To be honest as much as I have used Times New Roman in my life, I actually prefer it over Helvetica. (Yuck!) Times New Roman, since I was able to type, was the one and only standard font for anything typed or written in school and anything else was immediate death. (Or the equivalent in a 4.0 grading system.) Times New Roman was actually first developed for the British magazine The Times. Apparently there was kind of a big scandal on the rights to the font as well, but I won't tell the story. (Cliffhangers make a story work.) A good friend of mine describes this font as classic.
While this font doesn't truly fit the definition of classic I know that for people my age it probably feels that way. At one time in history Microsoft Word had this font as it's default. I believe that for me Times New Roman is a nice font that gets across the message without distracting your reader but still has more interest than Helvetica does. The serifs in this font bring it that classical quality and professionalism where as Helvetica just feels like default and overused. (An artist's nightmare.) Times New Roman is a great font for body text, as seen here. It's also well used for sights of professional papers and education. It would also be good for poetry. In fact, I feel inspired to write an ode to Times New Roman.
HOWEVER, I don't have time for that. I have lots of homework to attend to because I happen to go to a school that doesn't leave time for poetry. (more winks.)

chuck..


1 comment:

  1. Great work, Chuck! Too bad about the poetry. Would love to have it on the blog...

    ReplyDelete