Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Walker Piece. Slerum

Jene Highstein
Untitled, 1987-1988
Sculpture at the Walker.








This piece is confusing and difficult to me. I personally don't find it interesting, what is the meaning? Why did the artist create it? This piece makes me wonder who, what, when, why, and how? I want to know why the artist used the material he did. I see three rounded rocks and to me thats no different than what you would see in nature. I know the artist made a mold from metal and formed cement around the metal to create them, but they are still not interesting. This brings up the question of what is and is not art? I think this is art, I just don't find it interesting. Would this be more interesting if it was made with a different material? 


-Sarah Lerum




(www.walkerart.org)

1 comment:

  1. Ok, a little research could go a long way here... Why don't you check out http://www.mattress.org/index.cfm?event=ShowArtist&eid=45&id=215&c=permanent and see if there is anything that could help you understand this work...

    ReplyDelete