Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fonts- Tess B


Trajan

Normally you would think that a place like Victoria’s Secret that is known for its beauty and sex appeal would create a logo that does just that, and they do. However most people probably wouldn’t think to use the typeface form movie posters such as I am Legend, Memoirs of a Geisha, Titanic, or Nightmare on Elm Street. The typeface Trajan created by Carol Twombly is a very widely used font and can portray many different messages, anything form triumph to terror, sexiness to suffering and because of its many uses Trajan is sometime referred to as the movie font. When I look at the typeface Trajan and I imagine a seen around it, I feel like i should be back in ancient Rome in the time of Achilles and Helen of Troy. I distinctly remember once seeing a poem carved into stone and the font used was Trajan, and I remember feeling like that piece had withstood the ages.
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/sexy_serifs.php
http://mokokoma.co.za/the-faces-behind-20-famous-typefaces/

Gill Sans

The typeface Gill Sans has a nice look to it, clean, modern and still a little fun. It is a sans-serif typeface that will get the job done. This is a wonderful and playful font that portrays a sort of innocence and I think that is why when I see it I am reminded of a child's birthday invitation.
http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/typeface-of-the-month-gill-sans


Myriad Pro

If someone were to ask a child if they knew what Myraid Pro was they would most likely have no idea what it is. However if you were to ask them if they knew what an iPod is chances are they would pull one out of their pocket or something similar to it. Day after day we see and use these technological devices and rarely look at the little details like the typeface. The innovative and cutting edge font that is Myraid Pro has no variations and is as clean, and cutting edge as the devices that it advertises. When looking at this typeface I can’t help myself but to think that it is reliable and it means business.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IPod_Myriad_Pro_Semibold.png

1 comment:

  1. Some good research here, Tess. I agree, Myriad Pro is as quiet and unassuming as it's famous products are ubiquitous...

    ReplyDelete