Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Oh the difficulties of art at the Walker..


This is the work of Yves Klein, which is titled: Assemblage of Used Paint Rollers (1956-1962). It is sculpture created using various sized paint rollers encrusted with paint. Visually it captures ones attention through the use of different textures and variation of color and sizes. However, how can this be considered a museum worthy piece of art? To me, it looks exactly like something I can find in a bucket in the corner of my garage. I found this piece to be confusing, thus making it a perfect example of a difficult piece of art which needed to be investigated.
Yves Klein is a French artist that can be classified as either a neo-dada or a post-modernist. Many of his pieces focus on the use of pigment and paint. He calls himself the 'painter of space'. However, he has worked with a vast range of media: photography, music, theater, film, architecture, painting, sculpture, performace, and theoretical writing. Currently his work is being exhibited at the Walker Art Center. The majority of this exhibit focuses on his creation of the color 'International Klein Blue'.
By knowing this, the use of paint and rollers makes much more sense. Klein has such a fascination with color that makes this piece have much more meaning to it than just what the naked eye can observe. Visually this is appealing due to the rhythm and movement created by the paint rollers.
Thank you Yves Klein for puzzling me with your art and giving me a reason to blog about your used paint rollers. It is much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Good investigations, Diedre. So how do you think the rollers function for Klein in the case of this artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I am a fan of Yves Klein, I to feel like this piece may not be museum worthy. While cleaning out my basement I found many used paint rollers that looked very similar.

    ReplyDelete