Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Trisha Brown

Trisha Brown is a brilliant artist and dance choreographer who rose from the post-modernism era. While most of her work is involved with dancing and movement, she also transfers her body and actions onto paper, and is featured in the Walker Art Center.

I have often talked of dipping my hair and body into ink and then drawing/painting, so when I discovered her I fell in love quickly.

My favorite Trisha Brown pictures feature her literally dragging, stamping, and sliding her body along the paper as she works, combining physical movement and dance with making pictures on paper. The end result is highly emotional and fluid.
I feel the result is quite successful and beautiful, and I think her goal of "making the perfect dance" is often met. I'd love to stand and flow over her pictures to follow her lines and tracks...

Trisha Brown, UNTITLED (Set One). 2006. Soft-ground etching with relief roll on paper.
Walker Art Center.
Image from Walker Art Center Collections
http://collections.walkerart.org/item/enlarge_fs.html?type=object&id=12609&image_num=1

1 comment:

  1. Really interesting choice of work, Jeremy. Lovely description of the piec and a sincere, passionate personal response. It would be interesting to know about her other work- how this relates visually to Ms. Brown's dance style, etc. (research...) Good start!

    ReplyDelete