Welcome!

Class blog for Orientation to Art and Design, Sections A and D.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mucha - Stars


I have always been a fan of Mucha's style and technique, this is probably due in part to my interest in lithography. I have always found Mucha’s prints to be nothing short of fascinating, and I think that Stars is no exception. The thing that I find most intriguing about this piece (and many of his other pieces) is his use of line. I love the consistent fluidity that embody them and make them so dynamic. The lines and the poses of the figure complement each other well. The second thing I love about this piece is his use of color, the plate he uses for each different frame fit well for what the star they are conveying. What I find most intriguing is the progression of colors has a sort of cycle to it. In the first panel, the colors are darker and resemble a night sky more so than the next two. In the second and third panel, the major palates are yellow and green respectively. I find the final panel to be the most interesting, in that, it seems to be a combination of all of the colors. The composition of these is a common trait among other Mucha pieces, and I think it makes it all the stronger. The way these are positioned shows the progression of stars, in that it begins with the morning star, and then ends with the moon. In all, this is yet another of many beautiful works by Mucha’s, and it fails to disappoint.

http://www.richbillig.com/mucha/images/the%20stars1.gif


No comments:

Post a Comment